Wednesday, January 12, 2011

A book unfinished and a book postponed

I've spread myself a bit thin on the reading front lately, starting too many books at once and not finishing anything. One of these books will have to remain unfinished I think. I've been reading Eric Segal's The Class on and off for months and can't seem to care enough about the characters to get through it at any sort of reasonable pace. It's not bad or anything, the story is interesting enough I guess, but the style and the choppy chapters irritate me. I know he's all famous and I remember loving Love Story, both book and movie, but this just isn't doing it for me.

Another book will have to be postponed. I've been working on The Winter Solstice: The Sacred Traditions of Christmas by John Matthews and already wrote one post on pagan midwinter traditions. I read a couple more chapters now and have plenty of notes and ideas, but with Christmas long gone both reading it and writing about it don't seem appropriate. So I decided to leave writing anything more on the subject until next December when it's all Christmassy again.

So there. On to the other five or six books I have going! :-)

3 comments:

Falaise said...

Shame you can't get into the Class. I loved it when I erad it (many years ago!). He wrote a similar book called "Doctors" (I think) about a group of doctors who attend medical school together.

Iliana said...

It's hard to let go of books but no sense going on if it's just not working out for you. I don't have a problem moving on :)

Hope your other books are better!

joanna said...

Falaise - I really wanted to love it!

Iliana - When I see that I have to force myself to read it then I figure there's no point... The others seem much better so far! :-)